Situated in a serene and large facility in Michigan, Narconon Freedom Center has been accepting clients for drug rehab since the year 2002. The birth of the center was one that began with one thing; helping others to gain the successes that one graduate had while on the program. With that concept alone the facility initially opened its doors in Battle Creek, Michigan.
Today the program in located just a two-hour drive from the Detroit metro area and attracts clients from Michigan, Chicago and all across the United States and the world.
Narconon Freedom Center has several successful approaches to handling substance abuse.
- To free addicts from the physical cravings that prevented them from stopping drug use on their own.
- To clean up the mental and emotional components of why they started using drugs in the first place.
Over the 11 years seven out of ten of Narconon Freedom Center graduates have stayed permanently drug free.
The Narconon Freedom Center Facility
Located in a large building that was formerly a hospital, Narconon Freedom Center has over 10 acres of relaxing space set up specifically for recovery. The building has separate and private wings, one wing for female clients and the other for male clients. Each area has separate laundry facilities as well as rest, relaxation and bathing areas. There are also common places where clients can meet and enjoy shows on television, read or play games.
With huge windows looking out on a plush landscape where wildlife often graze many clients can see deer, birds and local squirrels on the premises.
A typical day at the Narconon facility includes waking up early to enjoy a buffet style breakfast with traditional foods like eggs, bacon, hash browns, pancakes and French toast. For the light eater there are options like yogurt, fruit and cereal as well as a variety of bagels and breads for toast.
Treatment often begins between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m. daily until lunch. Daily hot lunches or sandwich bar is served to clients. There is also a full salad bar to enjoy with each meal that has fresh vegetables.
Afternoons at Narconon Freedom Center are also reserved for treatment until suppertime when a hot dinner is also served, buffet style. Most often desserts are made to compliment the meals. In addition to the general meals served daily, healthy snacks are also available for clients.
Activities and drug free social interaction is also a very important component of Narconon’s rehab program. Clients, with staff chaperones, are able to visit a local pool to swim [weather providing], go out on outings with staff and other clients to pizza places, local restaurants, to visit a masseuse and see a movie. In addition to this, there are plenty of social activities within the center, which include working out in the state of the art gym and weight room, playing volleyball, football, or softball.
There are also a minimum of 40 staff who have a number of roles at the center which include:
- Administrative Staff
- Support Staff – mainly handling daily client needs.
- Nursing Staff
- Facility Staff – for the upkeep and general upgrades for the facility and building.
- Maintenance Staff
- Cleaning Staff
Handling Addiction at Narconon Freedom Center
The Narconon program in Michigan treats many different type of addictions including:
- Prescription Pills – opiate pain meds, benzodiazepines and prescription stimulants.
- Methadone, Suboxone, Subutex and other replacement drugs.
- Cocaine and crack cocaine.
- Synthetic Drugs
- Club Drugs
Each individual is evaluated and based on their specific needs is approved for the program on a case-by-case basis. Those on heavy prescriptions or replacement drugs are placed in medical detox as adjudicated by a doctor and based on individual risk of withdrawal.
The Narconon Freedom center program is a 100% drug free rehabilitation program. The steps of the program include:
- Drug Free Withdrawal – trained staff and a very specific natural regimen help to ease the uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms one has when coming off of drugs. Vitamins are used as well as ‘Assists’ which are body communication drills.
- The Therapeutic Training Routines Course – this is the first course done on the Narconon program to help clients get ready for their entire treatment process, thus raising their abilities to confront, use good control and communicate.
- The New Life Detoxification Program – Unlike any other program of its kind, the New Life Detoxification Program is a safe and effective ‘sweat out’ program where one uses a dry heat sauna to help remove toxins from the body. This process has proven results in drastically reducing physical drug cravings.
- The Learning How to Learn Course – This gives clients the ability to retain and apply information and is key in helping them as they embark on the later steps of the Narconon program.
- The Communication & Perception Course – As an additional step related to the Therapeutic Training Routines Course, the Communication & Perception Course helps to additionally raise communication, improve control and confront. It also allows users to do drills called ‘Objective Exercises’ to help get them into present time and get their mind off of past drug using experiences. By doing this clients become happier and more able to face the future, drug free.
- The Ups & Downs in Life Course – Part of resolving addiction is looking at the associates of those who have been using drugs. This course allows one to see all of those who are connected to him and determine who is helping him or her to survive and who is enabling or causing him or her to fail. There is also key information on the cause for illnesses and accidents that will allow for lifelong change and stability.
- The Personal Values & Integrity Course – The course helps to restore the integrity of the individual by allowing him to take responsibility for past transgressions.
- The Changing Conditions in Life Course – The Changing Conditions course helps one to understand that at any given time he or she is in a condition in life. It provides valuable information on how to improve one’s condition in all areas of life.
- The Way to Happiness Course – The course gives on a common sense guide to living that teaches him a new moral code.
Narconon Freedom Center also offers an aftercare program unlike any other that is headed up by a long time staff member with over 30 years experience. Before completing the drug rehab program each client completes what is called a Final Discharge Plan. This goes over each aspect of the client’s life and how he or she will improve specific areas of it. Some of these include:
- How he or she will obtain or resume employment.
- Steps that originate from the client on how they will repair relationships.
- How one will handle other responsibilities like children, paying bills or even dealing with stressful situations or people.
- Any other needs of the client even including exercise plans, nutritional targets or every day living.
For the first six months after completion the Aftercare Specialist will call the client every week to check on the progress on the Final Discharge Plan. After the first six months calls are made bi-weekly to monthly to continue to check in depending on the needs of the individual.
Another option that Narconon Freedom Center gives clients is the ability to give back and volunteer in the community. The center even has a drug prevention and educator training program that will give a client the tools and training to speak about drug prevention topics to schools, community centers, workplaces and church groups.
Narconon Freedom Center is licensed by the State of Michigan Department of Community Health as a Substance Abuse Program.